The mission of the Aerospace department (GALCIT) at Caltech is to address fundamental problems that could lead to transformative science and technology in Aerospace and related fields by educating and training future leaders for academia, government and industry.
To this end, we focus on:
- providing state-of-the-art education focusing on fundamentals in mechanics (fluids, propulsion, materials, structures, space).
- excelling in research training of students and postdoctoral scholars.
- creating an environment that fosters independent, innovative and interdisciplinary thinking.
- developing and maintaining infrastructure including advanced laboratory facilities to support research that will lead to cutting-edge technologies in aerospace and other related fields.
- being the focal point at Caltech for promoting collaboration with aerospace industry and government laboratories.